Re: Issues arising from not reparsing

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:10:34 +0300
Cc: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
On Aug 10, 2009, at 17:19, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> On Monday, August 10, 2009, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
>> On Aug 10, 2009, at 14:14, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>>

>> In case #1, I think the right fix is to introduce more statefulness
>> into the escapes so that <!-- and --> that occur inside string
>> literals are heuristically ignored. (Anyone care to suggest a
>> heuristic that doesn't involve rolling a JS parser into the HTML
>> parser?)
>>

>> A more radical way to address this would be making "..." and '...'
>> escape </script> to cater for the document.write() case and not
>> letting <!-- ... --> be magic.
>
> This would be great IMHO. Can we try putting that in gecko and see if
> that results in compatibility bugs?

Trying it would be feasible, yeah, and I think it makes sense to try
it. I think I'll create a wiki page with requirements and a proposed
delta spec first, though, because others on #whatwg were interested in
pondering alternative solutions given a set of requirements.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi