Re: How did the summary attribute become part of HTML 4.0?

how long ago was this?  the bank of america site has for an example an
advisory that they may have dropped that users of jaws set title as
their option for links.

On Aug 8, 2009, at 9:06 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

David Poehlman On 09-08-08 11.49:

> On Aug 7, 2009, at 8:16 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

	[...]

>> But it has been pointed out to me that only expert AT users
>> access the @title information.

	[...]

> I would just want to record here that it is no longer necessary
> to be an expert at user to access title, it's only necessary to
> use a mac with voice over and the jurry might be out on whether
> that means you have to be an expert but my thinking is no.

The source I pointed to - one blind authoring and AT usage expert -
told me that sighted Web designers erroneously (when compared to how
things work "in the wild") thought that the @title attribute was very
important to use in order to create accessible (for AT users) Web
pages. Only power users make any use of @title - the same source told.
(This seems to be a common gotcha story to tell non-AT experts, btw.)

I suppose that in all user groups, including amongst AT users, there
are power users (aka "expert users") and "vanilla" users, so this made
sense to me. A power users is one who is a bit nerdy and who knows how
to circumvent problems and has the time to do so.

It is of course interesting if average VoiceOver users, unlike e.g.
average Jaws users, feel that @title has a value increasing effect.
Although non-VoiceOver users might get saved from much text repetition
- e.g. @alt text is often duplicated in @title - because of their
"failure" to offer @title easily.

OTOH, last I tried - several months ago - VoiceOver did not support
@summary - except when I used Opera instead of Safari (or, perhaps, if
you were a power users=. I'm sure you can tell me if this is still the
case.
--
leif halvard silli