RE: Google to pay for HTMLWG invited experts at TPAC 2009

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Larry Masinter wrote:

> Still, the process is biased toward people who are eager to send a
> private email to "ian@hixie.ch" and against those who might hesitate,
> for whatever reason. (Do I need to elaborate the reasons why one might
> hesitate?)

I agree that it is very unfortunate that Google is the only organisation
apparently willing to support the many volunteers in this working group.

I urge Adobe to join Google in offering to pay for volunteers to attend
this meeting, so as to provide a wider range of people to whom these
volunteers are able to send their requests.

We could probably get even more volunteers if any of our member companies
were willing to pay for travel or hotel fees. This isn't an idle
suggestion; as some might recall, Google sponsored three independent
individuals a couple of years ago to attend the TPAC in Boston, paying for
their travel costs and the hotel. I am disappointed that no other
companies have been willing to put a similar level of commitment behind
the open standards process.