Re: summary attribute compromise proposal

From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 18:01:35 +0200
To: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>
Cc: Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Shelley Powers On 09-08-06 16.40:

[ snipped a debate on some particularities w.r.t. the isseu

> I realize that I seem to be the odd woman out here by introducing a
> note of caution, and bringing up the negative consequences of this
> event, but I'd like to point out Sam Ruby's interpretation of this
> event, as he just published in his weblog[1]:
>
> "It looks like the summary attribute issue is finally well on its way
> to being closed.  Recent events: Johnís position, Ianís position,
> Maciejís mediation, Ianís acceptance, Johnís withdrawal of his draft."
>
> In other words, this is being played as a solution to the summary
> attribute issue in its entirety, not just about summary attribute in
> the Working Draft.
>
> Now, it will be that much more difficult to achieve a real solution to
> this problem, not the least of which anyone bringing up objections
> will be seen as "not playing well", or being rigidly against
> compromise.
>
> It's called painting people into a corner.

If we can interpret "well on its way" as "not yet", then I guess
we should have Sam's support for *keeping* it marked as an open
issue - as  Laura formally required [1].

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/0315
--
leif halvard silli