Re: summary attribute compromise proposal

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 16:25:06 -0700
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

On Aug 5, 2009, at 4:16 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>
>> Thus, I hope you will reconsider.
>
> I've updated the spec to do what you proposed.

Thanks. I read over your changes, and as far as I'm concerned, the new
spec text is in line with my compromise proposal.

For anyone who would like to check, here's how summary is now defined
in the <table> section: <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#attr-table-summary
 > And the only remaining mention in the "conforming but obsolete
features" section is a brief note indicating that the summary
attribute gives a warning: <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#conforming-but-obsolete-features
 >.

I think this is the best arrangement we can get in terms of a
compromise that both sides can live with. I understand people have
concerns with various aspects. But I personally do not think I can
push the proposal much in either direction without completely losing
the support of one side or the other. So I strongly urge everyone to
take time and consider whether this is something they can live with.
If anyone wants to ask for more concessions, then I don't think I
could lend my support such an effort.

Regards,
Maciej