Re: Intranet pages

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > Standards are important for cases where software from unrelated vendors has
> > to interoperate. By definition, content in a walled garden such as an
> > intranet is controlled by a single organisation, and therefore a standard is
> > unnecessary -- local conventions are a perfectly suitable substitute.
>
> That is incorrect. For instance, many document management systems run only in
> intranets, yet they still need to support a wide variety of user agents (not
> controlled by the vendors of these systems).

Sure, but if there's a problem, the vendor gets called on it and fixes it.
No need for a standard there. This is unlike an open environment like the
Web where the consumer, the producer, and the UA vendor might have no
relationship whatsoever.

Again, I'm not saying a standard isn't useful in these cases, just that
supporting those cases isn't our goal, and can't be without compromising
on our other more important goals regarding the open Web, as discussed here:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/0242.html