Re: summary attribute compromise proposal

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2009, at 1:16 PM, Laura Carlson wrote:
>
>> Hi Shelley,
>>
>> You wrote to Maciej:
>>
>>> I appreciate that you tried to find a compromise, and admire your
>>> effort. But the issue really isn't between Ian and John.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Table summary is an open issue in the HTML WG Tracker.  And it should
>> be marked as open in the spec, whether John's or Ian's or some
>> combination of words are used.
>>
>> Cynthia Shelly has Action 128 to "Work with PF to find an owner for
>> drafting @summary text proposal" [1]. Let's give Cynthia a chance.
>
> I'm not inclined to withdraw my compromise proposal, just because
> someone else has 9 days left to find yet another person to eventually
> make a different proposal. But I welcome comments on the substance.

No one is asking you to withdraw your proposal.  I believe that all that
is being pointed out is that Cynthia will not forfeit her opportunity to
present a proposal simply because you have prepared one.

I will confirm that Cynthia is making good progress.  I met with her
last week and this week I have seen a first draft of @summary text
proposal that hopefully she will be ready to present to the group
shortly.  If you are looking towards producing something that could be
workable as a long-term solution, it would make sense to factor this in.

I will also note that Cynthia has not historically had the bandwidth to
participate in this mailing list, but often does find the time to attend
the weekly teleconferences.

I am quite willing to decouple the near term need for a poll (should
there still be a desire to have one) from your activities (which
apparently are focused on the longer term).

> Regards,
> Maciej

- Sam Ruby