Re: summary attribute compromise proposal

On Aug 4, 2009, at 1:11 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> I will say that I welcome this initiate.  And that I agree with
> Shelley's point: even if John is satisfied by Maciej's approach, it
> is true that others may not be... and poll may still be required.
>
> For the moment, what I am focused on is what wording will go into
> the published Working Draft at this time.

Specifically, I'm trying to propose something that could be workable
as a long-term solution, and that could take us to Last Call,
regardless of what goes in the Working Draft. It may take longer than
the WD timeline to work out all the details, so I'm not asking to
preempt any decisions related to WD publication.

I think that for a solution to take us to Last Call, it needs to have
at least some support for each "side" of the dispute. It may be that
some people will not be satisfied by what comes out of that, and we
still need to have a poll. But I think we're not going to resolve this
by forcing one side or the other to surrender. So I hope people can
think in terms of compromise, even if they don't agree with exactly
what I proposed. If we can't find a basis for compromise, then we'll
ultimately have to pick between two extreme positions, which will
likely be polarizing and unpleasant for the Working Group.

Regards,
Maciej