Re: My final attempt on explanation (was RE: [DRAFT] Heartbeat poll - update 2)

From: Lee Kowalkowski <lee.kowalkowski@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 14:50:32 +0100
To: Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com>
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On 04/08/2009, Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually I thought the case is made that it is structural/spatial
> nature of the table that is supposed to be included in @summary:

> total. Columns contain expense category and total. The first column
> contains merged table cells.">

Reading that summary, I don't understand two things:

How can rows contain one thing, but columns contain something else?

Assuming that the summary attribute contained an understandable
structural/spatial description of the table, wouldn't a screen reader
user understand that anyway once they have a mental map of the table?
In the same way a screen user will not understand a table until they
have formed a mental map of it.

--
Lee
www.webdeavour.co.uk