Re: heartbeat poll and an abstain option

Shelley Powers wrote:
> Perhaps it's just me, and Sam correct me, but I think we're getting
> off track on the heartbeat poll.
>
> We're arguing about the state of @summary in HTML 5 going forward, but
> the heartbeat poll only has to do with the text that's in the next
> formally published Working Draft. Once published, the text of the
> draft could be altered and @summary added back in as an "obsolete but
> conforming" attribute again. Then we'll have to start all over again.
>
> The reason I'm asking for clarification in this regard is that I am
> interested in a poll or vote about including @summary in a final
> version of HTML 5, but I will most likely abstain from voting (poll or
> otherwise) in regards to the Working Draft as it is now worded. I have
> several issues with the document, and am concerned that any vote will
> be seen as supporting either document, and I don't support either
> document.
>
> However, it is publishing a Working Draft, which we can then use as a
> base on which to create alternative text for submitting to the group.
> One of the problems those of us interested in submitting alternative
> text is that the Editor's Draft is in constant state of change, and a
> Working Draft would provide a solid basis on which to build change. I
> have no interest in holding up the publication, I just don't want to
> imply any support for either version currently being considered via
> this upcoming poll.
>
> Sam can we have an abstain option in that poll? Or does that really
> only apply with a vote? I don't want to just not vote or participate,
> I'd like to provide information about why I'm abstaining from a vote.
>
> Shelley

Hi,

my understanding is the poll will allow is to articulate a preference
about how the spec should treat @summary.

And that's it -- for instance, just because I would *prefer* John's
draft doesn't mean I support many of the things it contains (microdata,
vcard, ping, whatnot...)

BR, Julian