Re: My position (was RE: [DRAFT] Heartbeat poll - update 2)

John Foliot wrote:
> Thus the difference between my "respect" Draft and the "WHAT WG" Draft are
> pretty simple: @summary is restored to conformant, and the WAI conflicting
> author guidance language was removed.
> (this of course leaves open the door of working with WAI to come to a
> resolution, but it removes the ability of WHAT WG to dictate to WAI)

 From my perspective, it seems that, despite knowing that the issue will
remain open and that any outcome is possible in the future, your
motivation for taking this route is to circumvent the process that has
so far been applied to every other feature either added to or rejected
from the spec.

What I do not understand is why it is so important for you to achieve
this minor victory of having @summary at least temporarily reinstated
now knowing full well that it stands every chance of being overturned
based on new evidence in a subsequent draft once this issue really is
resolved.  Likewise, the text in Hixie's current draft also stands equal
chance of being overturned based on new evidence.

So far, it seems you've done a lot of complaining about how you claim
the draft simply reflects Hixie's own opinion, but yet don't seem to
consider it hypocritical that the draft you have proposed merely
reflects your personal opinion.

Personally, it is of little concern to me in what state the summary
attribute is in the upcoming Working Draft. I believe it is more
important continue investigating the issue in terms of research and
evidence, rather than bickering about what one Working Draft, published
solely to meet the heartbeat requirement, says, and using subversive
tactics to get your way.

> You either agree with the notion that the draft cannot conflict with WAI
> and that at the very least accessibility guidance should be arrived at
> *with* WAI, and not externally from WAI, or you don't - that's the real
> question to me...

In this case, I do agree with you that we should be working with WAI to
resolve any conflicts between HTML5 and the advisory techniques from
WCAG2.  But I believe it is the WCAG2 Tecniques note that needs to be
updated to suit the features available HTML5, rather than having HTML5
comply with advice designed for prior versions of HTML, espeically
without irrefutable evidence that such advice really is optimal.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/