Re: [DRAFT] Heartbeat poll - update 2

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 06:31:36 -0700
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>

On Aug 2, 2009, at 4:03 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Recapping the current state, as I understand it.
> Ian has updated the current draft acknowledging that this is an
> issue. His acknowledgment, and the surrounding text, has been worded
> in a way that implies that the default will be obsolete, where John
> would be satisfied if this were worded in a way that the default is
> deprecated. Either way, it is still an open issue, and whichever way
> the default may seem to be in August does not in any way constrain
> the final outcome.
> If John removes his objection, and nobody else comes forward, then
> there will be no remaining options, and therefore no poll.  If he
> does not, there are two options:
>  1) Publish with @summary marked as obsolete
>  2) Publish with @summary marked as deprecated
> If the state does not change between now and tomorrow, I'm going to
> instruct Mike to put forward such a poll, with the results to be
> discussed in Thursday's call and a decision to be made there.

> The purpose of this email is to invite anybody who sees the state
> differently than I do to correct me.

I don't see the state differently than you do, but I don't understand
the poll options you listed enough that I could make an informed
decision. Specifically, I don't understand if we will we just be
voting on a wording change, or if there a substantive change implied.
Not for lack of trying -- in my email discussion with John, I was
unable to determine a substantive difference between "deprecated" as
he understood it and the spec's current use of "obsolete", but he
didn't say it's just a matter of word choice either.

I'd like to request wording for the poll options that is clear enough
for WG participants to make an informed decision.