Re: [DRAFT] Heartbeat poll - update 2

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Aug 2009, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> If John removes his objection, and nobody else comes forward, then there
>> will be no remaining options, and therefore no poll.  If he does not,
>> there are two options:
>>
>>   1) Publish with @summary marked as obsolete
>>   2) Publish with @summary marked as deprecated
>
> Given the recent confusion over what those terms mean (in particular,
> given that the HTML5 spec uses the word "obsolete" in a manner that is
> distinct from the way that HTML4 uses both "obsolete" and "deprecated"),
> it would be useful if such a poll defined the terms so that there is no
> ambiguity about what the decision actually is.
>
> (As an editor, I'd have no idea what to do given as a resolution either
> "mark summary as obsolete" or "mark summary as deprecated". As far as I
> can tell, HTML5 could be argued to do both already.)

It is indeed a problem that the current draft does not precisely specify
what these terms mean in a way anywhere near as clearly as HTML 4 did.

However for purposes of this poll, that will not be an issue.  I will
confirm that John Foliot has made available an updated draft and sent a
pointer to it to you, me, and Mike, along with a concise list of
differences.  Ian, check your mail for an message with a Message-ID of
<014f01ca134f$d127a1a0$7376e4e0$@edu>.

Given this information, there should be absolutely no confusion over
what the poll is about.

> Cheers,

- Sam Ruby