Re: ARIA integration in HTML 5

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 14:46:09 +0200
Cc: "HTMLWG WG" <public-html@w3.org>, "W3C WAI-XTECH" <wai-xtech@w3.org>
To: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "Steven Faulkner" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:00:38 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>

> On Jun 26, 2009, at 1:53 AM, Steven Faulkner wrote:
>> Moving beyond the summary attribute dispute to something I consider
>> much more important.
>> ARIA integration in HTML 5, to date there is no mention of ARIA in the
>> HTML 5 spec, I understand that the editor is waiting for ARIA last
>> call comments before proceeding, but there is already  1 complete
>> implementation in IE 8 and 1 pretty much complete implementation in
>> Firefox, while many of the features of HTML 5 have not been
>> implemented in any browsers as yet, so i don't understand why work
>> cannot start.
>> One lesson we can take from the summary attribute, is that in order to
>> progress with ARIA we need a modified process.
>> summary is one attribute, which has taken up countless hours of peoples
>> time.
>> ARIA has 60 odd attributes and a role attribute with 60 odd values. If
>> we (the html working group) deal with ARIA the same way as the summary
>> attribute, it will be unworkable.
>> thoughts?
> I'm assuming integration of ARIA would be either by referencing the ARIA
> spec or incorporating it wholesale. Or at least, I don't think sweating
> the details of every ARIA attribute would be a good use of the HTML
> Working Group's time.

I strongly agree with Maciej on this point. If the working group does
identify some issue with the spec, I suggest that it would be more
productive to refer the issue to the group responsible for developing ARIA
than to run a parallel discussion in this group. In part because as far as
I know all implementors of ARIA (both browsers and content producers) are
following it from the PF working group rather than HTML 5.