Re: fragid navigation and pct-encoded

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > Just because the URL is invalid doesn't mean it has to be canonicalised.
> > There are plenty of other URLs that are syntactically invalid that Gecko
> > doesn't fix up, for example:
> >
> >    http://example.com/%
>
> That might well not be intentional...

As far as I can tell it's interoperable amongst all the major browsers.

> > Anyway. Is the algorithm at:
> >

> > http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-indicated-part-of-the-document
> >
> > Satisfactory?
>
> Could you point me to the part of the spec that defines what a UA is to
> do with <a href>, exactly?  It's hard to evaluate this algorithm without
> a reference for how that's handled on hand.

Following hyperlinks:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#following-hyperlinks

...leads to navigation:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#navigate

...which (step 4) leads to navigating to a fragment identifier:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#scroll-to-fragid

...which leads to traversing the history:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#traverse-the-history

...which (step 6) leads to scrolling to the fragment identifier:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#scroll-to-the-fragment-identifier

...which is defined in terms of the indicated part of the document:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-indicated-part-of-the-document

> That said, there's one case I can think of offhand where the proposed
> algorithm has undesirable behavior.  Any time the browser is given a URI
> (not IRI)

Note that all URIs are IRIs.

> with a fragment (e.g. a Location HTTP header with a fragment), the only
> way to make that fragment match an id is to have the ID URI-escaped, and
> in particular have all non-ASCII characters URI-escaped.

Right.

> Then that same ID is a pain to match from IRIs (they also end up needing
> to have those characters escaped).

Why?