Re: Foster-parenting and taint

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 08:16:30 -0700
Cc: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
On Apr 25, 2009, at 21:15, Ian Hickson wrote:

> The spec is compatible with IE (and Opera) on this test:
>
>   http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/saved/92
>
> WebKit's behaviour (as you describe above) is not compatible with
> this.
>
> (Ironically, Gecko's behaviour isn't compatible with IE. Not sure
> what's
> going on there.)

Is there evidence that the Web needs the IE/Opera behavior, which my
be an unintentional artifact of achievin the foster parenting effect
in the CSS formatter rather than the HTML parser? On the face of it,
it seems undesirable to complicate parsing in order to cater for space-
only document.writes in tables.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi