RE: editing the IRI spec

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:55:37 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, "Lisa.Dusseault@messagingarchitects.com" <Lisa.Dusseault@messagingarchitects.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, HTML WG <public-html@W3.ORG>, Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, "michelsu@microsoft.com" <michelsu@microsoft.com>, "PUBLIC-IRI@W3.ORG" <PUBLIC-IRI@W3.ORG>
On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 07:41 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
[...]
> I would much rather we update the URI spec to combine the URI rules, the
> IRI rules, and the rules from Dan's document so that we have a single spec
> that both defines the allowed syntax, and the processing for all input
> strings, in a manner that is compatible with today's tools (networking
> libraries, command-line tools, browsers, e-mail clients, etc).
>
> Doing this should be relatively simple (there's no design work and no
> decisions to make, it's all a matter of integrating the existing rules and
> checking that they match existing software and fixing them where they
> don't). We just need a volunteer to edit the spec (Dan?), and agreement
> that this is the right thing to do.

I'm sort of volunteering... my tiny brain swapped in some of the
details to get to the draft that I have, but I really need to
dump what I know (and what I'm hearing from Anne and Erik and others)
into a test repository before I can really be comfortable editing
more.

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E