Re: Revamp HTML5 doctype sniffing?

From: Daniel Schattenkirchner <crazy-daniel@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 21:39:26 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org
Simon Pieters wrote:
>> I found 8 sites using this doctype.
>
> Thanks! Data is always nice. How did you find these sites, by the way?
> Out of how many?

I used the data Philip taylor gathered last year:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Feb/0393.html

I also used that data to look for usage of the doctypes I initially
proposed for Standards Mode.

Out of 125,380 sites, 13 used this doctype; of them some changed and
some are false positives due to the regular expression that was used.

>> In the view of a browser vendor, that's -3.
>
> Seems like reason enough to stick to quirks mode.

On two sites it's only the front page. The third one (ascypaa.org) uses
the doctype on more pages. The only thing ever broken is the image gap.