Re: MathML in HTML: syntax for hypertext links

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:50:38 -0400
To: Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>
CC: HTML WG Public List <public-html@w3.org>
Jim Jewett wrote:
> It was rejected, because the browser makers refused.  Their most
> clearly stated objection is that they couldn't come up with a
> reasonable User Interface.

I'm sorry, but can you point me to this discussion?

> Today's user interface has no nested hrefs

Really?  Here's some markup that produces nested <a> elements in at
least Gecko and Opera:

And pages create nested <a> elements with DOM manipulation (and actually
expect particular behavior in those cases; we've had a number of Gecko
bug reports about this over the years).

> (and even nested handlers has had interop problems)

Yes, true.  But HTML5 is defining the nested-href behavior anyway, since
it's trivial to get it in XHTML and not that hard to get it in HTML+DOM.

 > By allowing overlapping and nested hrefs
> ... that gets harder.

They can already happen, and UAs already need to deal with them.  The
syntax is immaterial; you can nest <a> elements just like you could nest
elements with href attributes.