Re: MathML in HTML: syntax for hypertext links

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 11:25:10 +0200
To: "David Carlisle" <davidc@nag.co.uk>, hsivonen@iki.fi
Cc: public-html@w3.org
On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 11:16:41 +0200, David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
wrote:
>> Actually, the parsing side of xlink:href in HTML5 is a solved problem.
>
> Henri, sorry if this is a silly question, but do you mean it's solved in
> Gecko or solved in the html5 specification?

HTML5 maps xlink:href attributes correctly for foreign content. I.e. they
end up in the right namespace and all at the DOM-level.

> And aside from any hopefully temporary problems with xlink in mathml in
> Gecko. Have you any thoughts on whether we should allow href everywhere
> in mathml.
>
> Was for example the xhtml2 style of href on all html elements considered
> and rejected for html5, or has it just not come up?

It has been considered, yes:

http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#HTML5_should_support_href_on_any_element.21

(I'd personally be happy if MathML moved away from the mess that is XLink,
but I've no idea how feasible that is.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/