Re: Selectors, getElementsByTagName() and camelCase SVG

Simon Pieters wrote:
>> I think there are three obvious options here:
>>
>> 1)  What the spec currently has.
>> 2)  What Gecko/Webkit currently do.
>> 3)  Having createElementNS(xhtml_ns, str) ascii-lowercase str in HTML
>>      (but not XHTML, of course) documents, then do what Gecko/Webkit
>>      currently do.
>
> Only if the namespace is http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml ?

Yes.

> Why not do this in XHTML?

Because none of this case-insensitivity stuff applies there.

> Would you convert to the canonical case of SVG elements for the SVG
> namespace?

No, since again case-insensitivity stuff doesn't apply there (except
during parsing in SVG-in-HTML perhaps).

>> Is there a reason to not take approach 3?
>
> I don't really see the need for making createElementNS lowercase. That
> is, if the author creates an element HEAD in the HTML namespace then
> it's fine if it won't be matched, since it's not conforming and most
> probably Web content doesn't depend on it.

I'm fine with that too.  That would be approach 2.  That's not what the
spec currently calls for, though.

To be clear, I'm happy with either approach 2 or approach 3 above; I was
suggesting approach 3 on the premise that approach 2 is unacceptable for
some reason I'm not aware of.

-Boris