Re: SVG Semantics Re: SVG and MathML in text/html

On Sep 29, 2008, at 4:27 PM, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 03:21:36 +1000, James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
> wrote:

>>> Except that in the real world, there is no apparent demand for a
>>> lot of tolerance in SVG markup, and there is an ecosystem built on
>>> the idea that the extreme tolerance available for HTML is neither
>>> necessary or desirable. Indeed, the major failure errors in
>>> Wikipedia examples, as identified by Henri, are less common than
>>> the cataclysmic failure of the image to appear at all.
>>>
>>> We believe that as well as being easier to implement (in browsers
>>> and authoring tools)
>> Is there any evidence for the assertion of "easier to implement".
>
> Our conclusion is that something more like the SVG-WG proposal and
> less like the original proposal incorporated in the spec (we're not
> convinced that it is perfect yet, but they are also waiting on Ian's
> feedback in particular) will be substantially easier to implement
> effectively in the actual browser.

When you say "our" do you refer to SVG WG or to Opera, and is it
Opera's official position that the SVG WG proposal would be easier to
implement?

> It would, prima facie, seem relatively simple to implement in an
> authoring tool that already handles SVG, since there is no need to
> implement HTML parsing there, just slurp out the SVG bit and not
> touch the HTML (which is relatively simple text processing).

Using simple text processing to extract content from HTML, instead of
an HTML parser, is acceptable only if you don't care about correctness.

Regards,
Maciej