Re: Question about origin serialization

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 21:01:35 -0400
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:
> My understanding is that the specs now have just two functions (one for
> ASCII and one for Unicode). Is this not the case?

No, because various places in the spec rely on different behaviors for
the non-triple origins.

>> Fundamentally, by the way, that's what Access-Control seems to rely
>> on...
>
> How so?

It specifies that you stringify the origins and then compare the
strings, so in the most direct possible way.

> The benefits would have to be really great to start introducing new
> standard syntax, IMHO. I'm a little concerned that we're putting the cart
> before the horse here -- we need to prove a need before we solve it.

Agreed.  I guess from my point of view as an implementor I'd rather not
implement the spec as written than have 4+ stringification functions,
which is where things seem to be headed right now....

-Boris