Re: function and impacts (was: @scope and @headers reform)

From: Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 09:32:08 +0100
To: "Simon Pieters" <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: "Ben Millard" <cerbera@projectcerbera.com>, "James Graham" <jg307@cam.ac.uk>, "W3C WAI-XTECH" <wai-xtech@w3.org>, HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>

2008/9/26 Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>:
> # [15:46] <zcorpan_> it doesn't work with
> http://projectcerbera.com/web/study/2007/tables/clark2006/06-gui/minimal
> # [15:56] <zcorpan_>
> http://projectcerbera.com/web/study/2007/tables/clark2006/19-movies/minimal
> is another case where it fails
>
> It worked correctly for those tables without the newly implemented rule.
>
> Some observations:
>
>   * Those two were columns -- Gez had rows.
>
>   * Those two had the relevant header cells at the top of the table --
>     Gez had data cells to the left of the relevant header cells.
>
> I guess we need a bigger sample of tables to know what to do for this
> particular case. Could this pattern of cells be detected by a script?

If the direction could be determined reliably, this could be a great
algorithm. I noticed that "Property" wasn't reported as a header in
the last example [1], but I'm sure it was reported properly in earlier
versions of the table inspector.

[1] http://juicystudio.com/wcag/tables/nestednoheaders.html

Gez

--