Re: Is "breaking the Web" with HTML 5 a non issue?

From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 03:53:53 +0200
To: Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>
CC: Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com>, Andrew Sidwell <w3c@andrewsidwell.co.uk>, public-html@w3.org

Sam Kuper 2008-09-22 19.28:

> 2008/9/22 Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com

>> So let's either ditch DOCTYPE, or have it mean something. But
>> to continue on with it being merely a "talisman" is not a
>> good plan.

> Hear, hear. In principle, I agree wholeheartedly with Justin
> and Philip's suggestions [to respect current doctypes etc]

   <snip />

> Alternatively, if DOCTYPE was dropped altogether, what problems would
> that cause for HTML5 or for backwards compatibility?

Looking away from the strict/quirks mode thing: the idea of "no
doctype" is not compatible with the idea that UAs should respect
the HTML 2, 3.2 and 4 doctypes, as this would mean that "the HTML
5 approach" would apply also to all current HTML pages without any
doctype. (As if those who did not care to add the doctype had been
the forward looking ones or something ...)
--
leif halvard silli