Is "breaking the Web" with HTML 5 a non issue?

From: Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 11:21:02 -0400
To: <public-html@w3.org>

I was reading over the discussion around the <applet> element, and I asked
myself, "what difference does it make if we break the applet tag? After all,
a page has to be deliberately changed in order to claim that it is HTML 5
(via DOCTYPE), so it is not like we are actually breaking any existing
content."

Am I wrong in this? If not, why are we so concerned about "breaking the
Web"?

J.Ja