Buffered bytes for media elements

From: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:27:11 -0700
To: public-html@w3.org
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#media>

 From the spec.:

The bufferedBytes attribute must return a static normalized  object
that represents the ranges of the media resource, if any, that the
user agent has buffered, at the time the attribute is evaluated.
The totalBytes attribute must return the length of the media
resource, in bytes, if it is known and finite. If it is not known, is
infinite (e.g. streaming radio), or if no media data is available,
the attribute must return 0.

We don't think these are well-defined for a whole host of cases:
-- live streams
-- SMIL files that reference several media files
-- media files like MOV and MP4 that reference media files, or even
MP4 or MOV files that are not interleaved in time order
-- streaming protocols in general (non-buffering)

It's by no means clear to us what these attributes are for -- what
the use cases are.  We think they should be removed, or supported
with use cases that are able to show why they are useful despite all
these cases where either their meaning or utility (or both) are
unclear...

--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime