Re: No tabbed browsing in HTML 5?

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> hallvord@opera.com wrote:
>> I haven't checked the spec but this implementation for _blank isn't
>> going to be compatible with the web. I know because we (Opera) tried
>> to not set window.opener for a new window created by a _blank link -
>> it broke Google Docs' document manager screen interaction with the
>> opened documents.
>
> I tested this in Firefox, IE and Safari, and they also set
> window.opener, so this behaviour will need to be specced.  I did check
> the spec, but I find anywhere that covered this issue appropriately.

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/browsers.html#opener0
"The opener DOM attribute on the Window object must return the Window
object of the browsing context from which the current browsing context
was created (its opener browsing context), if there is one and it is
still available."

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/browsers.html#the-rules
"If [the target is '_blank' or a previously-unused window name and] the
user agent has been configured such that in this instance it will create
a new browsing context, and the noreferrer keyword doesn't apply: A new
auxiliary browsing context must be created, with the opener browsing
context being the current one."

That seems to establish the target=_blank / window.opener link.

The totally-independent-new-window use case (presumably for
security/privacy when you want to open untrusted links in a new window
without letting them detect where the user came from?) is handled in the
spec by <a href="..." target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">.

--
Philip Taylor
pjt47@cam.ac.uk