Re: No tabbed browsing in HTML 5?

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 22:33:46 +0200
To: hallvord@opera.com
Cc: public-html@w3.org

hallvord@opera.com wrote:
> I haven't checked the spec but this implementation for _blank isn't
> going to be compatible with the web. I know because we (Opera) tried to
> not set window.opener for a new window created by a _blank link - it
> broke Google Docs' document manager screen interaction with the opened
> documents.

I tested this in Firefox, IE and Safari, and they also set
window.opener, so this behaviour will need to be specced.  I did check
the spec, but I find anywhere that covered this issue appropriately.

> If this is in the spec we had better drop it - perhaps a brand new
> value like <a target="_standalone" href="..."> could do the job but
> we can't change _blank.

We don't need a new value for this because no-one has demonstrated that
there is a real problem here that needs solving.  Until that happens,
coming up with potential solutions really isn't worthwhile.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/