Re: No tabbed browsing in HTML 5?

From: <hallvord@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:02:05 +0000
To: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Cc: Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com>, "'Justin Anthony Knapp'" <justinkoavf@gmail.com>, john@netpurgatory.com, "'N-at-Work'" <info@n-at-work.net>, public-html@w3.org

> With "_blank" one creates a new browsing context, where the new context
> has no "link" with the originating context.

I haven't checked the spec but this implementation for _blank isn't
going to be compatible with the web. I know because we (Opera) tried
to not set window.opener for a new window created by a _blank link -
it broke Google Docs' document manager screen interaction with the
opened documents. If this is in the spec we had better drop it -
perhaps a brand new value like <a target="_standalone" href="...">
could do the job but we can't change _blank.