RE: acceptable fallbacks [was: Re: Is longdesc a good solution? ...]

From: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:52:19 -0700
To: Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com>, 'Henri Sivonen' <hsivonen@iki.fi>, 'David Poehlman' <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>
Cc: 'Jim Jewett' <jimjjewett@gmail.com>, 'HTML WG' <public-html@w3.org>, wai-xtech@w3.org

>  > On Sep 10, 2008, at 15:06, David Poehlman wrote:
>>
>>  In any case, full-text transcripts are useful for general audiences,
>>  so once a full-text transcript has been written, it doesn't make sense
>>  to hide it in a fallback chain only for deafblind users. Instead, it
>  > should be available to all users.

*Any* adaptation should be provided on the basis of a (positive)
expressed need, not on the basis of a (negative) 'disability'.  So
saying that 'because some people without a disability might want X,
therefore X should not be treated as an accessibility question' is a
non-sequitur, to me.  There is no 'fallback chain for deaf-blind
users'.  There is material to enhance accessibility.  Why you might
want it or need it is none of my business.  It *is* available to all
users.
--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime