Re: Acessibility of <audio> and <video>

Dave Singer 2008-09-10 00.30:

> At 11:17  +0300 4/09/08, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> On Sep 4, 2008, at 01:13, Dave Singer wrote:

>> More to the point even, automatic mechanisms for language selection
>> are known to be *practically pointless* to engineer, because we
>> already know from HTTP Content-Negotiation that users don't bother to
>> configure it.
>
> We've had some success with QuickTime and alternate language, on occasion.

I wonder when it begins to be pointless?  Our cable TV set-top box
was delivered at the door being preprogrammed to prefer subtitling
in Norwegian. And that works. So it should be a success!

Likewise, browsers nowaways - probably with the exception of
Firefox  - tend to pick their preferred language setting from the
OS. Which works as well. So it should be a success? (Well, I have
some complaints about how Safari forces me to change the language
preference of my entire OS if I want to tell it to prefer a
certain language - but OK.)

There is a problem when we go in to the finer granularty of things
- is that why it should be pointless? Users often do not regulate
the default language preference settings. And it also isn't
particulary easy to select language preferences in a web browser.
(Why is it not provided as a menu beside the Encoding selection
preferences e.g.?) Plus that browsers are choke full of cookies
that override the language prefernces anyhow. Etc.

So I would not measure the success in the number of times users
change their language preferences.
--
leif halvard silli