Re: new XSLT output methods, was: several messages

Julian Reschke wrote:

> I personally don't care who's going to do it. As both are W3C working
> groups, the W3C should be able to sort that out. What's important is
> that this doesn't become something for the XSLT-3.0 wish list, when in
> practice, many people are stuck with XSLT 1.0.

I think that we can cope it within three separate steps:

1. Provide "XSLT-compat" in HTML5 to accommodate existing XSLT 1.0 & 2.0

2. Define HTML5 output method with all bells and whistles identified
with namespace. This will provide unified identifier for HTML5 output
method which can be used by XSLT 1.0 & 2.0 implementations and will
provide at least basic interoperability between progressive
implementations. This task should be done by W3C XSL WG or some external
project like exslt.org.

3. Make method defined in step 2. standard part of XSLT 2.1, 3.0 or
whatever. This task should be of course done by W3C XSL WG.

It is important to see that importance of steps will change over time.
Today, for adoption of HTML5, it is important that it is easy to
experiment with it and this means that there is no barrier in producing
HTML5 conformant content. With "XSLT-compat" it is possible to very
easily turn existing XSLT based system to HTML5 producers.

As browser will support more of HTML5, there will be greater demand in
producing content that uses new HTML5 features and some of those
features (MathML, SVG, new void elements) require completely new
serializer -- this time when steps 2 and 3 became very important.