Re: ISSUE-54 (html5-doctype-vs-xslt): XSLT 1.0 can not generate HTML5 documents [HTML 5 spec]

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 09:50:33 +0900
Cc: "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>

Le 29 août 2008 à 19:20, Henri Sivonen a écrit :
> On Aug 29, 2008, at 12:33, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:
>> So it seems like what we want to propose in terms of how an HTML5
>> conformance checker would view it: Allow the string "PUBLIC" to
>> optionally occur in the doctype after the "html" string, followed
>> only by "" or '' (with no text allowed within the quotation marks).
>

> Looks good to me.
>
> I tested Firefox 3, WebKit trunk, Opera 9.5, IE7 and IE8b2, and the
> doctype <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC ""> seems to have the same mode effect
> as <!DOCTYPE html>.

Simple question. What would be the cost of no doctype at all?
I know that <!DOCTYPE html> activate standards mode, but why not
activating it too on just <html>. IE8b2 went all the way to go
standard mode by default on html 5 "fake doctype" with potentially
breaking many sites.

Do we know if it would really create damages? And what would be the
extent?

--
Karl Dubost - W3C
http://www.w3.org/QA/