RE: table headers - clear description of problem

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Joshue O Connor
Envoyé : vendredi 29 août 2008 16:31
Objet : Re: table headers - clear description of problem

>>> Why not mark all the header cells as <th> and enable hierarchical
headers by
>>> allowing a <th> cell to point to another <th> using the headers
attribute?

>> At the moment, nested headers aren't allowed. If the spec is changed
>> so that they are allowed, I wouldn't want header elements in the
>> middle of a data table, as the header wouldn't apply to the row or
>> column it's in, but a conceptual header for the cells that reference
>> it. Allowing the headers attribute to reference a td is logical,
>> simple, and it works in current implementations.
>
>I agree. I think the conceptual headers approach means that we can still
>use *pure* headers as they were intended and allow td cells to reference
>others so they can behave like headers as needed.

Which leads to the conclusion that the headers/id constructs should be kept
in the spec as a complement to the scope method, as it has *some* uses that
cannot be done with scope.

(as in: it's not just a problem of a specific UA or accessibility tool that
does not implement scope properly, it's also a broader problem that should
be kept in mind)

--
Kind regards,
Stéphane Deschamps

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and intended solely for the addressees.
Messages are susceptible to alteration.
If you are not the intended addressee of this message, please cancel it immediately and inform the sender.