Re: <q> and commas

At 11:45  +0000 30/10/08, Sam Kuper wrote:
>2008/10/30 Philip TAYLOR <<mailto:P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk>P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk>
>
>Sam Kuper wrote:
>
>(A) In cases where the author has used constructions like <q>"(A
>quote.)"</q>, the markup is invalid under HTML 4.x,
>
>Why do you assert that, Sam ?
>

>From HTML 4.01 spec, section 9.2.2 [1]:
>"Authors should not put quotation marks at the beginning and end of
>the content of a Q element."
>
>[1]<http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#h-9.2.2>http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#h-9.2.2

And if the quoted material validly begins and ends with quotation
marks, why not?  I am quoting material which itself contains
quotation marks.  e.g.:

from 'No Name' by Wilkie Collins: <q>"Do I understand", he said,
"that you are entirely deprived of present resources?"</q>

(which is probably why it is a 'should' and not a 'must' not).

You might think to solve this by matching opening and closing quote
marks, but there's nothing to say I cannot quote only a single phrase
of direct speech.

By the way, are you sure you know what a quote mark *is* in all
typographic conventions around the world?  (" ", ' ', << >>, ...)
--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.