Re: <q> and commas

From: Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 12:17:21 +0000
To: "Justin James" <j_james@mindspring.com>
Cc: "Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd)" <P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk>, "Robert J Burns" <rob@robburns.com>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>
2008/10/30 Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com>

> Another question along those lines:
> Does "[quotation] marks" refer specifically to the " character?

No. (Assuming my modification to your question, above, was correct.)

> Or does it also include the &quot; entity? What about the right/left
> quotation marks, or their associated entities?

In my understanding, yes (except insofar as I am not certain what you mean
by "their associated entities").

> I can understand us wanting to carry on the HTML 4 behavior,

I think we can do rather better than HTML 4; my various suggestions
elsewhere in the current threads on <q> express my suggestions as to how we
can do so.

> we don't even know what [the HTML 4 behaviour] is supposed to be, with this
> vague definition [of what constitutes a quotation mark]...

Avoiding such vagueness, either by omitting the prescription that, "Authors
should not put quotation marks at the beginning and end of the content of a
Q element."[1] or by replacing it with something much less ambiguous, would
be one component of defining the <q> element better in HTML 5 than it was
defined in HTML 4.

Regards,

Sam

[1]http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#h-9.2.2