Re: <q> and commas

Justin James wrote:

> Given enough engineering resources and a detailed
> enough spec, it is eminently possible to make a UA magically add all of the
> correct punctuation; Microsoft Word, for example, is capable of this. But no
> one in their right mind wants this.

I certainly don't.  Microsoft Word drives me insane,
trying to second-guess what I am trying to accomplish.
If I hit <return>, I want to start a new line : I do
/not/ want to start a new sentence, nor do I want the
next word leading-capitalised.  If I end a group of
letters with a period, I want a period.  I am not
(necessarily) trying to indicate "end of sentence",
nor do I want the next word leading-capitalised.
If I click half-way through a word, then drag to the
end of the next word, I want a word and a part-word
selected, not both words in full.  Just three of
Word's "intelligent" behaviours that drive me insane.
So let's agree (if we can) that "intelligent"
behaviour is best left to sentient beings (humans),
whilst computers should stick to doing /exactly/
what they are told to do !

Philip TAYLOR