Re: <q>

From: Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:11:16 +0000
To: "Ivan Enderlin" <w3c@hoa-project.net>
Cc: "Justin James" <j_james@mindspring.com>, "Olivier GENDRIN" <olivier.gendrin@gmail.com>, "Ben Boyle" <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>, "Chris Wilson" <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>
2008/10/29 Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>

> The best solution is to codify default quotation presentation, and have UAs
> implement that presentation as far as possible.

(I should add, for those who may have missed my earlier messages, that in
addition to the above, it must be possible for authors to override the
default behaviour. It should also be possible for authors to ignore the <q>
element entirely.

This combination of proposals will enable authors who wish to follow best
practise to do so, while allowing those who don't wish to to still create
valid HTML 5. For the latter group of authors, it will be their own loss, as
the markup they produce will be harder to maintain.)

Sam