RE: Buffered bytes for media elements

From: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:52:51 +0900
To: Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com>, 'Eric Carlson' <eric.carlson@apple.com>, 'Jim Jewett' <jimjjewett@gmail.com>
Cc: 'HTML WG' <public-html@w3.org>, 'Ian Hickson' <ian@hixie.ch>, jharding@google.com

At 22:47  -0400 19/10/08, Justin James wrote:
>Why can't we just have both?
>
>J.Ja

Because we don't want parts of the specification that have so many holes?

Heres another one:  if I have loaded 20K of a file, but 10K of that
is not actual media data (maybe it's metadata, maybe not used), do I
report 10K or 20K as the buffered bytes?  If I want to know how much
memory is being used for buffering, 20K is the right answer.  If I
want to know how much data is relevant to my playback, 10K is the
right answer...