Re: Buffered bytes for media elements

On Oct 15, 2008, at 11:44 AM, John Harding wrote:

> Some background behind the request:
> It is common for web sites displaying video (such as YouTube) to
> control the buffering and playback of video in order to optimize the
> user experience.  One example is deciding when sufficient data has
> been buffered to begin playback - while the spec currently include
> the "canPlayThrough" event, this isn't really flexible enough for
> all use cases.  Users often do not watch entire videos, so delaying
> playback until complete playthrough is possible is too much of a
> delay.  It's often appropriate to play some video as soon as
> possible, and modify buffering behavior during playback as the
> user's intentions become more clear.
> Another example is that web sites may have multiple versions of
> videos, and want to be able to make their own determination of when
> to switch from one to another, vs. leaving that up to the user agent.
>
> While the buffered time ranges provide an approximation to this,
> they can be very far off the mark for some types of content.
> Similarly, there are scenarios where buffered byte counts are also
> incorrect, but the overwhelming majority of the time, video will be
> a static file served by a standard server, such that it's trivial
> for the agent to provide that data.

   I don't follow your logic. How can knowing the number of *bytes*
available allow you to make a good decision about when sufficient data
is available to begin playback when you don't know the bit-rate of the
media file? In other words, how can you know when it is safe to begin
playback when you have N bytes available but you don't know if playing
the media file requires 10 K per second or 10 Megs per second?

   I would think that just monitoring the number of seconds of media
available as time passes would give you a *more* accurate picture
about when it makes sense to ask the server for a lower bit-rate
version - "oh oh - this user is only buffering 1 second of media every
5 seconds, time to switch to the smaller version".

   I may be missing something obvious, but I can't see how having
information about the number bytes of a time-based resource is useful.
Can you spell out the use case(s) for these properties in more detail?

   Thanks,

eric