Re: Reading feedback

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:16:35 +0200
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, public-html@w3.org

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 13:22:22 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> It has come to my attention that there may be a misunderstanding about
> what feedback I read regarding HTML5. In particular, in one e-mail to a
> member-confidential list recently, it was suggested that I have said that
> I might not read all e-mail sent to this list (public-html).

(That was me).

> I'd like to reassure everyone that as editor, I do read every single
> e-mail sent to this mailing list, and take all such feedback into
> account.

OK, thanks for clarifying that.

> I believe this misunderstanding may have risen because I have mentioned
> that I do not guarantee that I will _reply_ to all e-mails sent to this
> list, unlike with the WHATWG list, where I do guarantee that all feedback
> will receive a reply. This difference is merely one of practicality; this
> mailing list has at times received over 50 e-mails per day, and doubling
> that (by replying to every e-mail) seems like an unproductive approach.

I'm still a bit confused. My impression is that in many cases you reply in
one email to a collection of things people have said - which allows you to
synthesis their points and your responses in one (admittedly sometimes
long in order to be comprehensive) message.

> So again, please rest assured that I do and will read every e-mail sent
> to this mailing list, and will consider all such e-mails carefully.

Consider me assured. Thanks for the explanation and sorry for the
misunderstanding.

> [etc]

cheers

Chaals