Re: An HTML language specification

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Mark Baker wrote:

> Consider the definition of iframe.  I honestly don't know what part of
> that section defines the meaning of the element.  The paragraph that
> defines "sandbox" seems to be the only DOM-independent text I can find
> there, so that would be part of it.  What about the rest (e.g. see the
> HTML 4 definition)?

HTML4: The IFRAME element allows authors to insert a frame within a block
of text. Inserting an inline frame within a section of text is much like
inserting an object via the OBJECT element: they both allow you to insert
an HTML document in the middle of another, they may [sic] both be aligned
with surrounding text, etc.

HTML5: The iframe element introduces a new nested browsing context.

HTML4: The information to be inserted inline is designated by the src
attribute of this element.

HTML5: The src attribute gives the address of a page that the nested
browsing context is to contain.

HTML4: The contents of the IFRAME element, on the other hand, should only
be displayed by user agents that do not support frames or are configured
not to display frames.

HTML5: Descendants of iframe elements represent nothing. (In legacy user
agents that do not support iframe elements, the contents would be parsed
as markup that could act as fallback content.)

I don't really understand what you mean by "DOM-independent". What
implementation are you considering for which the current text is lacking?

> I agree that this doesn't necessitate a split of the spec (though I'd
> still prefer that happened).  But I think the minimum required to
> resolve the issue would be to split the definitions into two independent
> sub-sections.

I don't understand what the sections would be.