Re: An HTML language specification

From: John Kemp <john.kemp@nokia.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:41:57 -0500
To: ext Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
CC: ext Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org

ext Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> John Kemp wrote:
>> Are we not then talking simply about a modularity issue?
>>
>> In other words, would it not be possible to make a normative HTML5
>> language specification, and then reference that specification from
>> another that defined APIs and so on?
>>
>> One definitive source for the language, and a further definitive
>> source for the API, referencing the language specification.
>
> It has already been pointed out that that is effectively the model used
> by the HTML4 and DOM 2 HTML specs, and it has been shown to be a rather
> ineffective model for achieving well defined specifications and
> interoperable implementations.

All I was suggesting was that the exact same HTML5 language which is
being defined in the current HTML5 draft is put into a separate
document, describing only the actual language. I believe that is what
Michael has already attempted.

I fail to see how that particular operation affects the possibility to
achieve well-defined specifications or interoperable implementations.

Regards,

- johnk