Re: An HTML language specification

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:31:54 +0100
To: John Kemp <john.kemp@nokia.com>
CC: ext Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org

John Kemp wrote:
> Are we not then talking simply about a modularity issue?
>
> In other words, would it not be possible to make a normative HTML5
> language specification, and then reference that specification from
> another that defined APIs and so on?
>
> One definitive source for the language, and a further definitive source
> for the API, referencing the language specification.

It has already been pointed out that that is effectively the model used
by the HTML4 and DOM 2 HTML specs, and it has been shown to be a rather
ineffective model for achieving well defined specifications and
interoperable implementations.

Please, let's not repeat the same mistakes again.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/