Re: An HTML language specification

On Nov 20, 2008, at 18:08, Mark Baker wrote:

> Once a document.write() occurs, from my POV you've got a brand new
> HTML document with a different meaning than the one it "replaced".

What's an "HTML document" in your opinion? Neither the network byte
stream nor the object implementing the Document DOM interface go away
and get replaced. There is exactly one sequence of characters that
gets examined by the tokenizer. There might have been a different
sequence of characters if scripting had been turned off, but that
sequence was never examined by the tokenizer.

What's the old document? What's the new one?

> Someplace else other than the language specification, you could
> specify the exact state machine that describes how a processor manages
> the transition between these two documents.

How is the current spec not sufficiently describing the relationship
of document.write and the parser state machine? Describing document
transitions as a state machine doesn't make sense here, because
there's no state machine-like transition (see above).

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi