Re: An HTML language specification vs. a browser specification

From: Geoffrey Sneddon <foolistbar@googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:55:03 +0000
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>

On 20 Nov 2008, at 01:58, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> So, in order for me to design my content by testing in a
> current browser, I would have to redesign my content every six months.
> Obviously, I don't do that.

Assuming each release of the browser you uses breaks your content,
which they go to great lengths to avoid doing. I certainly did write
HTML like this several years ago. Standards, quite frankly, are too
hard to read for the general web author (and HTML 5 is no different
from HTML 4.01 or XHTML 1.0 in this respect: if anything XHTML 1.0 is
the worst because it's very unclear where any element's semantics is
actually defined). Books cost money, and I didn't have that. So, hey,
I'll just copy code from others and see it works in my browser.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>