Re: An HTML language specification

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:39:12 -0500
To: public-html@w3.org

Mark Baker wrote:
> I just quickly ran through the SVG 1.1 spec and only saw a handful of
> instances where the definition of the vocabulary was in terms of the
> DOM.

I should note that SVG 1.1 fails to define the language at the level of
precision we're aiming for (well, some of us are aiming for) with HTML5.
  My experience as an implementor is that it's quite badly underdefined,
in fact.

Maybe this could be tightened up without reference to some abstract
containment structure, but maybe not.

A related question here.  Is the problem the use of the DOM per se, or
the general use of a tree structure for defining containment
relationships?  That is, is the problem the specific model, or the
general type of model used?

-Boris