bufferingThrottled and bufferingRate

From: Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:53:02 -0800
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

   Can someone explain why we need the "bufferingRate" and
"bufferingThrottled" media element attributes?

   I believe the rational is that scripts might want to attempt to
implement bandwidth management, but I don't think that is a realistic
goal. Just knowing that a user has "unused" network bandwidth doesn't
mean they will be able to decode and display a higher bit-rate stream,
they also need to have "unused" cycles on the CPU/GPU - something a
script can't detect.

   Is there another use case for these attributes? Does anyone think
they are necessary for the first version of the spec?

eric