Re: An HTML language specification

From: Toby A Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 00:55:05 +0000
Cc: distobj@acm.org, public-html@w3.org
To: ian@hixie.ch

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Mark Baker wrote:
>
> > Can anybody name a long deployed system whose constituent
> protocols were
> > specified as a monolith?  I can't.
>
> The United States of America.
> http://uscode.house.gov/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the US constitution consist of
seven separate articles, with very little overlap; plus the bill of
rights, again with little overlap with the original seven, added a
few years later? And a number of smaller amendments over the years.

That seems to be very much what is being proposed by splitting the
current HTML5 spec: several specifications covering different areas
of responsibility, with as little overlap as possible, but worked on
by mostly a single team to ensure a coherent result; with the
possibility for additions a few years later; and structured in a
manner so that one spec may be amended without the others needing a
rewrite.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>